Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The longest week ever

Last Monday night, my dad had a massive heart attack. He had to be shocked with a defibrillator 15 times in order to get his heart stable and was soon put into a medically induced coma to take stress off of his heart. For most of the week we really wondered if he would make it. The doctors explained that with the severity of his heart attack, there is only about a 30% survival rate. My dad already has congestive heart failure, so his heart was weak to begin with and this really did a number on it. He remained on a breathing tube all week because his heart wasn't even strong enough to pump his lungs. The doctors planned to do a defibrillator implant surgery when his heart got strong enough, but days went by and there was no improvement. Finally on Easter Sunday they decided they just needed to do the surgery and hoped it would go well. Sunday was a really hard day because I was just waiting by my phone for a call to see if he made it. I was really hoping for an Easter miracle and it looks like we got one. My dad made it through the procedure, and today, for the first time in a week he is awake. They've removed the breathing tube and taken him off the sedatives. My mom says he's groggy and not very responsive now, but it seems like things are finally improving.

I've been waiting for good news to share this experience with the masses and now I finally feel comfortable doing it. I'm not confident in saying he's out of the woods, so prayers or thoughts of healing and strength would be appreciated, but I am relieved to finally have some good news. It's been a VERY long week. It was pretty hard to have to move in the midst of all of that, but it gave me a good distraction and I have a pretty awesome husband, friends, and family, who offered me support when I needed it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry this is all going on at the same time. I've been thinking about your family a lot and will continue to keep in them in our thoughts and prayers.