Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Happy day

The past few weeks have been pretty rough. Between leaving our awesome house to move into a crummy little apartment and my dad having massive heart attack, things have been a little stressful. I think Brady was even sensing the stress because there were a few days where his tantrums were out of control. Normally he has one a day, but he was having meltdowns on an hourly basis for a while and I was ready to pull my hair out!! But, things have settled. We've settled into our new place and my dad has made an awesome recovery. So the days are getting better. Today was especially awesome in its ordinariness, and I just wanted to document it:

It stormed last night. Thunder, lightening, rain. The clouds remained and it drizzled most of the day. This is not ideal weather for April. It was cold, BUT the clouds meant it was darker in the morning and Brady and I slept in until 8. After lounging around for a few hours playing and watching Blues Clues, I decided to go to the gym. We left the house at 11 and somehow I took a detour to get lunch with my babe instead. We also stopped at a pastry shop for a treat. I decided to go home after that for naps and go to the gym later in the afternoon.

When we got home, Brady had an Easter package from my parents. It was delayed from the address change, so it was fun to have an unexpected surprise: some toy cars and candy. He took a nap. I tried, and failed...but then I booked tickets to fly home on Sunday. Brady and I will spend my birthday week (next week) with my family in Northern CA. I've already put my cake order in with my mom - Texas Sheet Cake. I also found out that my dad would get to go home today after 2 weeks in the hospital/rehab center. Hooray!!

After his nap, we headed to the gym for Family Swim with some friends. Sure, I meant to go to the gym to work out, but swimming with Brady and friends seemed like more fun, and I can always work out another day. Brady LOOOVES the water. I don't think I've ever seen a more joyful face on him than when he's splashing in the water...and even more, when I take him into the deep end and let him "kick, kick, kick". Tonight he jumped in a few times and we practiced going under several times. He had a blast!

When we got home the kid that never eats actually ate! He ate 4 chicken nuggets, 7 cherry tomatoes, some cheese, a few bites of his leftover egg salad sandwich, and miracle of miracles, he asked for a bite of the green beans with almonds that I was eating. And then he asked for MORE! I've been trying to get him to eat these (or any veggie other than tomatoes or peas) forever! He always clamps his mouth shut when I offer it, or if I can get it into his mouth, he spits it right out. This was a huge victory!!

After dinner Brady and I jumped in the shower to wash the chlorine off. As I was washing my hair, Brady sat at my feet playing with toys while humming the ABC's. He knows a lot of the letters, but doesn't sing them yet. But he hummed or "lalalala'd" the entire tune correctly. It was so cute...and it was the moment that I got a little misty eyed and stopped to think about how perfect our day had been. So many little joyful moments like this one....

When we were done, he went pee on the potty for the THIRD time today! He's so ready to potty train, but I'm holding back from doing it because we have several trips coming up this summer and diapers seem easier on airplanes. Anyway, we celebrated. (Also notable - as I went to the bathroom earlier today he celebrated for me and said "good job") After that it was normal bedtime stuff: singing, stories, cuddles, prayers, kisses, etc. He goes to bed SO easily, I love that.

So yeah, we didn't do anything extraordinary today, but sometimes an ordinary day like this can be one of the best ones ever. The only thing we were missing was Ryan. He's in Boston for work :(

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad things are getting better with your dad! I can't imagine how you must be feeling. It'll be nice to go home for a few days to visit your family!

    ReplyDelete